MATCH REPORT: Chorley Reserves 2-2 Huddersfield Town Devs

Development Team draw in first away game of the season as they travel to Chorley Reserves.

Huddersfield Town Women’s Development Team travelled to Chorley Reserves on Sunday where they played out an entertaining draw for the fans who came along to watch on the cloudy afternoon. 

After a delay to kick off, the game finally had a referee and 10 minutes behind schedule, the game was underway and it was a very strong start for the Terriers.

In the opening stages of the game, Town had three consecutive corners that were well defended before the third corner found Macy Ellis in the box, whose shot was fired into the side netting.

As the first half continued, the Terriers continued piling the pressure on their opponents, and Tara Duce left the ball just outside of the box for Alice Linsell to have a shot, that just was just short of the crossbar.

Just a few moments later, Gaby makes a fantastic cross into the box that hits the head of Falone Sumaili, the Chorley goalkeeper made her first of many excellent saves to keep the shot out. Town won a corner.

After having a number of corners up to now, Duce fired the ball into the box once again and eventually, the ball fell for Sumaili. Sumaili brought the ball down to her feet and had a shot that was fired straight into the back of the net. The striker once again scored for Town to extend her run of scoring in every game she has played for the Terriers.

After the opening goal of the game, Chorley started to find their feet and begun to string a number of passes together. But, it was Town U18 player Alyssa who had the next shot of the game. Sian Gibrill-Keating played a lovely through ball to the youngster, whose shot failed to find the back of the net.

Gibrill-Keating found the back of the net however less than a minute later. Sumaili’s shot was blocked and Gibrill-Keating was the first to react to the loose ball.

As the second half begun, both sides saw plenty of the ball, and half an hour before the end, Chorley scored twice in five minutes. The Terrier’s opposition now levelled the score line and a fiery end of the game was on the cards.

In the final periods of the game, Sumaili had a great shot from just outside the box, her shot well saved and hit onto the crossbar by the Chorley goalkeeper. 

However, it was Chorley who looked more likely to grab the winner after they pressed towards the Town goal. A number of chances for the hosts were just wide of the goal as they looked to complete the comeback. 

The game ended in a draw, with the hosts expected to be the happier of both sides. Town failed to take their chances in the first half and were left to regret that. 

At full-time, newly appointed manager Alan Eastwood touched on the result and performance:

“Of course we are disappointed with a point after such a good start but saying that, I think we could have easily lost it at the end conceding three or four corners in the last few minutes but we defended those well and there is lots of positives to build on.

“I think if we had played as we did maybe in the first hour, it would have been a different story but we have not quite adapted to the way the opposition changed today and that’s the main thing we need to build on next week.”

Another point for Town Devs however this weekend as they begin preparations for back-to-back home games against Leeds United and Sheffield FC in the coming weeks.


Share the love: