MATCH REPORT: Huddersfield Town 2-2 Loughborough Lightning

Report by Joe Edge.

Huddersfield Town and Loughborough play out an end to end 2-2 draw.

  • Late equaliser stuns Terriers
  • Town climb to fourth after consecutive draws
  • Goals from Katie Stanley and Mia Parry

The points were shared after Town women played out an entertaining 2-2 draw against Loughborough in the FAWNL.

The game was fast paced from minute one with early opportunities for both teams, and on the eight minute mark Loughborough had the ball in the net before it was ruled out by the referee.

However, just minutes later it was Town who broke the deadlock with a goal from Katie Stanley. Following a sustained attack the ball was crossed into the box and the quickest to react was Stanley with a great strike on the turn guiding the ball into the bottom corner.

Following the goal Town continued with the pressure and were pushing for a second.

However, in the 30th minute Loughborough were awarded a penalty for a foul inside the box. Bethan Davies produced a magnificent save diving to her right-hand side to prevent an equaliser.

Huddersfield Town Women continued to dominate large parts of the first half with plenty of opportunities. Against the run of play, just before half-time, Loughborough were awarded a second controversial penalty and this time it was converted, putting the sides level at the break.


In the second half Town Women came out fast and eager to restore their lead, and just three minutes into the half they did just that. A great cross from Brittany Sanderson found Mia Parry, who climbed the highest to get on the end of it and head it down past the Loughborough ‘keeper.

Town were dominant and played well for the majority of the half with a notable shot from Parry going just over the bar, and five minutes from time Town hit the post with another chance to seal the win after the ball failed to be cleared from the six-yard box.

However, it was Loughborough who got the final goal in the 88th minute from a powerful strike which Davies couldn’t do anything about.

Falone Sumaili had a chance in added time with a great effort, but the ‘keeper made an impressive save to deny Town Women all three points.

Huddersfield Women will feel it was 2 points dropped after creating many opportunities, dominating large periods of the game, and conceding late.


At full-time manager Glen Preston said: “It’s two points dropped. Loughborough play with a lot of heart and they never gave up but I think, ultimately, anyone who has watched that game knows we should have scored four or five goals.

“I think we hit the woodwork three times, to be fair they hit the woodwork too, but overall we paid the price because we hadn’t put the game to bed when we absolutely should have done.”

Next up, Town Women are in League Cup Final action on Sunday 24th April as they take on Southampton at Solihull Moors Stadium. Fans are welcome to head down and show their support.

Follow our social media channels @htafcwomen for updates throughout the week.


Share the love: