MATCH REPORT: Town Devs Complete Second Game in Three Days

Huddersfield Town Women’s Development squad played Barnsley Women’s First Team on Tuesday evening at Wombwell Town FC.

Town, who previously took part in a thrilling match against West Brom, were looking to continue their strong start to pre-season as they were facing a confident Barnsley side.

Six minutes after kick-off, Gibrill-Keating managed to thread through a beautiful pass towards Trialist, who aimed twice after her first shot was saved by the ‘keeper, but the second shot elegantly passed into the back of the net, gave Town an early lead.

Only four minutes later, another chance was in the favour of Town. Trialist tried her luck from outside of the box with a beautiful chip that caught the Barnsley ‘keeper off guard, a stunning finish from Town and a second goal for Trialist.

Shortly after, Trialist faced the ‘keeper yet again, but Barnsley came out on top in this battle as she executed a great save to deny our Trialist a hat-trick.

Barnsley were gradually making their way into the game and got the ball forward, but Town’s trialist in goal and the defenders eased the situation. This led to a Barnsley defender making a back pass that was intercepted by our Trialist, but another stop from the keeper denied her of a third goal.

The home side were seeking to bring back a goal, and great attacking play nearly gave them that opportunity, but Laughton was alert and manoeuvred a fantastic block and clearance on the line, keeping Town with a two-goal lead.

However, shortly after, Barnsley were on the attack again. Despite the quality defensive display of Huddersfield Town, the trialist goalkeeper made a great save to stop them from getting a goal before the break, and this opportunity led to half-time, with Town two up.

At the break, Town made a few substitutions as they were seeking to maintain their two-goal lead, however, a fast-paced start to the second half saw Barnsley win a penalty. With the chance to give their side some hope of a comeback, they converted their penalty into the bottom right corner.

As the match progressed, Town looked dangerous again. A tap in from the middle of the box resulted in our Trialist finally getting her hat-trick, and deservedly so, with Town 3-1 up. 

75 minutes in, Town’s keeper, Alex, saw himself with a bundle of opportunities to save, which he did brilliantly, comfortably stopping two great chances for Barnsley and a set piece with no trouble whatsoever. 

However, with five minutes to go Barnsley, who took their chance, scored from a corner. As they were looking for an equaliser, the home side won another corner. In the 90th minute, Barnsley scored. With the full-time whistle blowing shortly later, the game finished 3-3.

A disappointing ending for Town, but a solid performance against the first-team of Barnsley.

Town will continue building as we now prepare for the next pre-season fixture against Harrogate Town First Team over the weekend.

Report by Arjun Singh. 


Share the love: